find nursing schools

Select a degree level

Particularly in the field

States

img
    Checking
  • Matching School Ad
    Kaplan University - KHE

    MS in Nursing

  • Matching School Ad
    Medical Careers Institute

    RN to BSN

  • Matching School Ad
    Fortis Institute

    Medical Assistant

Cardiac Care Nurses

Cardiac Care Nurses are RNs that specialize in dealing with cardiac patients suffering from heart and other cardiovascular diseases. As per the World Health Organization’s study, 29% of the human deaths are caused by heart diseases alone. Moreover, an anticipated 7% of the total population is falling prey to this disease every year. One of the major exponents of heart diseases is smoking. However for almost every disease, scientists and medicinal practitioners have discovered cures and remedies. Similarly for heart related illness, cardiac care nursing is a specially designed course that deals with patients suffering from heart diseases.


Cardiac nurses usually work under the supervision of the Cardiologist and their job placement can range from coronary care units, intensive care units and cardiac treatment centers. They are tasked to deal with conditions such as angina, cardiomyopathy, cardiac dysrhythmia, coronary artery disease, myocardial infarction, and congestive heart failure. Moreover, cardiac care nurses also carry out anxiety tests, heart check-ups and vascular examination. The median age of cardiac care nurses in US is 38 years. Majority of nurses in the cardiac field are females and consistute 76% of the total CRNs. While the remaining 24% cardiac nurses in US are males.

• Required level of education for Cardiac Care Nurses:

Cardiac care is one of the potential areas for nurses. Not only does it necessitate education and schooling, it also demands a sociable and positive attitude in front of the patients. However, cardiac care nurses must have attained diploma in Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiac Life Support. Besides that, you also require a two year experience as a permanent registered nurse. When you have successfully finished your two years of work, you need to gain at least 2,000 hours of medical experience in cardiovascular nursing. Registered Nurses can sign up for a cardiac/vascular nursing certification test which is governed by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.

• Salaries and career prospects for Cardiac Care Nurses:

A cardiac care nurses earns a median salary of $80,750 per year. However, at the start of your career, you can anticipate an initial salary of $66,500. However, after gaining experience and certifications, you can expect your annual wage to augment to around $95,000. As far as the career prospects of cardiac care nurses is concerned, it is anticipated that a 23% growth will be witnessed by 2016 owing of higher rate of aging people. This indicates the attractive career prospects of CRNs in the coming times.

Matching School Ads

NursingSchools/Colleges